SAE Level 5 = No steering wheel needed, drive anywhere on the planet the vehicle can go
Why would Elon say he would have LEVEL 5 this year as opposed to saying new Level 4? Level 4 gets him everything he has been promising, failing on, charging more for, for several years. And given this pattern and the blind allegiance of the Pied Piper’s followers there is no reason to believe that can’t continue. So why suggest LEVEL 5????!!!!!!!!!!!
(Both L4 and L5 are impossible to reach given Tesla’s reliance on public shadow and safety driving. As well as gaming-based simulation. But hey . . .pretty much everyone else does the same thing. More in my articles below on that.)
· His ego and resulting unethical indifference for the truth is just that big
· He knows he can’t make L4 so what the hell
· He is going to blame non-existent regulations for stopping him. Thus, robbing the world of the first and possibly only L5 vehicle.
· He’s pumping the stock and cost of “autopilot” by giving folks even more bang for their buck. (From $3k to $8k now I believe).
· He’s trying to hide the dreadful performance his system has including a fatally flawed L1/ADAS AEB system that keeps hitting stationary and crossing objects like police cars, tow trucks, trailers, street sweepers, passenger cars and barriers. Killing at least 5 people. (Joshua Brown, Jeremy Banner, Walter Huang, Gao Yaning and Yoshihiro Umeda. The thought being no problems could possibly exist it it’s LEVEL 5!!!!!!!!!!!!
· Some combination or all of the above
The problem here being that it’s easy to tell his systems are nowhere close to L4 let alone LEVEL 5!!!!!!!!. Not only from the recent Consumer Reports review where the system failed the most basic of tests, but also things like the current updates like learning STOP SIGNS AND GREEN LIGHTS, the plethora of videos showing massive problems, the absence of that cross country trip promised a couple years ago, and that stationary and crossing object detection debacle. I think Elon will have no choice but to admit he is nowhere close and take his lumps this time. Which will include lawsuits and possible SEC and FTC issues. Or I guess, he could just say ooops again, push it to next year and raise the price-again?
More in my articles here
Tesla “autopilot” development effort needs to be stopped and people arrested
Forget Tesla’s “autopilot” their Automatic Emergency Braking is a Debacle
The Autonomous Vehicle Industry can be Saved by doing the Opposite of what is being done now to create this technology
Proposal for Successfully Creating an Autonomous Ground or Air Vehicle
SAE Autonomous Vehicle Engineering Magazine — Simulation’s Next Generation (featuring Dactle)
Simulation can create a Complete Digital Twin of the Real World if DoD/Aerospace Technology is used
- https://medium.com/@imispgh/simulation-can-create-a-complete-digital-twin-of-the-real world-if-dod-aerospace-technology-is-used-c79a64551647
Using the Real World is better than Proper Simulation for AV Development — NONSENSE
My name is Michael DeKort — I am a former system engineer, engineering and program manager for Lockheed Martin. I worked in aircraft simulation, the software engineering manager for all of NORAD, the Aegis Weapon System, and on C4ISR for DHS.
Key Industry Participation
- Founder SAE On-Road Autonomous Driving Simulation Task Force
- Member SAE ORAD Verification and Validation Task Force
- Stakeholder for UL4600 — Creating AV Safety Guidelines
- Member of the IEEE Artificial Intelligence & Autonomous Systems Policy Committee (AI&ASPC)
- Presented the IEEE Barus Ethics Award for Post 9/11 Efforts
My company is Dactle
We are building an aerospace/DoD/FAA level D, full L4/5 simulation-based testing and AI system with an end-state scenario matrix to address several of the critical issues in the AV/OEM industry I mentioned in my articles below. This includes replacing 99.9% of public shadow and safety driving. As well as dealing with significant real-time, model fidelity and loading/scaling issues caused by using gaming engines and other architectures. (Issues Unity will confirm. We are now working together. We are also working with UAV companies). If not remedied these issues will lead to false confidence and performance differences between what the Plan believes will happen and what actually happens. If someone would like to see a demo or discuss this further please let me know.