Elon Musk is now telling us a legitimate “Autopilot” and “Full Self-Driving will never exist
Elon tweeted the following on April 14th 2021
Major improvements are being made to the vision stack every week. Beta button hopefully next month.
This is a “march of 9’s” trying to get probability of no injury above 99.999999% of miles for city driving. Production Autopilot is already above that for highway driving.
The brutally obvious questions here are:
· If you have a “production” ready highway ODD “Autopilot” why don’t your customers have it?
· Why are your customers and the public around them being used as (needless) human Guinea pigs to develop something that exists?
· To be 6 9s (99.999999%) the crossing and stationary object sensor design flaw must be fixed? Was that done by eliminating radar and going camera only?
· How do you get 6 9s, with cameras only, in direct light, heavy fog or snow?
· Can you show us prove of 6 9s? or even 2 9s?
· Is there another price hike coming to get this production capability? If so how much more than the $10k being charged now?
Personally, I believe this takes Elon’s already ridiculous negligent hype to a new level. It is one thing to say you will have things and keep moving the date, like L5 last year and now this year. It is another to say you already have it. I think Elon is saying this because his ego and desperation runneth over. And he is begging the government to shut him down for recklessness so he can claim they stopped him from finishing. The point of that being to try to avoid lawsuits and to put yet another Band-Aid on his exceptionally fragile and reckless ego.
Of course, this is all avoidable
More detail here
The Autonomous Vehicle Industry can be Saved by doing the Opposite of what is being done now to create this technology
SAE Autonomous Vehicle Engineering Magazine — Simulation’s Next Generation (featuring Dactle)
Tesla “autopilot” development effort needs to be stopped and people held accountable
Tesla ditching radar and Elon’s explanation show us how bad and how deadly this system is
Simulation can create a Complete Digital Twin of the Real World if DoD/Aerospace Technology is used
- https://medium.com/@imispgh/simulation-can-create-a-complete-digital-twin-of-the-real world-if-dod-aerospace-technology-is-used-c79a64551647
Using the Real World is better than Proper Simulation for AV Development — NONSENSE
My name is Michael DeKort — I am a former system engineer, engineering and program manager for Lockheed Martin. I worked in aircraft simulation, the software engineering manager for all of NORAD, the Aegis Weapon System, and on C4ISR for DHS.
Key Industry Participation
- Founder SAE On-Road Autonomous Driving Simulation Task Force
- Member SAE ORAD Verification and Validation Task Force
- Stakeholder USDOT VOICES (Virtual Open Innovation Collaborative Environment for Safety)
- Stakeholder for UL4600 — Creating AV Safety Guidelines
- Member of the IEEE Artificial Intelligence & Autonomous Systems Policy Committee (AI&ASPC)
- Presented the IEEE Barus Ethics Award for Post 9/11 Efforts
My company is Dactle
We are building an aerospace/DoD/FAA level D, full L4/5 simulation-based testing and AI system with an end-state scenario matrix to address several of the critical issues in the AV/OEM industry I mentioned in my articles below. This includes replacing 99.9% of public shadow and safety driving. As well as dealing with significant real-time, model fidelity and loading/scaling issues caused by using gaming engines and other architectures. (Issues Unity will confirm. We are now working together. We are also working with UAV companies). If not remedied these issues will lead to false confidence and performance differences between what the Plan believes will happen and what actually happens. If someone would like to see a demo or discuss this further please let me know.