Elon says new “full self-driving” release is coming with no radar and safety is “confirmed”
So. . . “We had to focus on removing radar & confirming safety.” Means what? All the scenarios that previously failed? Particularly those that have killed people, especially where stationary and crossing objects were involved? What about similar issues with L1/ADAS/AEB? Is there proof that cameras can handle all critical functions with no active sensors like radar and LiDAR? Distancing, speed, tracks, 2D objects, bad weather, direct light etc?
Elon stated the Arbe dense array radar was being evaluated. Why was it not used? (My guess is no one wants to pay for retrofitting over 750k cars, Elon’s ego or providing litigants with discovery.)
Also, given Elon stated a “6 9’s?” version of highway FSD was available weeks ago, does this update include that capability?
More detail here
Tesla “autopilot” development effort needs to be stopped and people held accountable
Tesla ditching radar and Elon’s explanation show us how bad and how deadly this system is
Elon Musk is now telling us a legitimate “Autopilot” and “Full Self-Driving will never exist
Tesla Director of Autopilot Software says Elon’s statement about “Autopilot” capabilities does not match engineering reality
Tesla Driver Killed, 2 Seriously Hurt in Big-Rig Wreck
The NTSB frets over human Guinea pigs then chastises and punts to the even more reckless NHTSA
USDOT introduces VOICES Proof of Concept for Autonomous Vehicle Industry-A Paradigm Shift?
The Autonomous Vehicle Industry can be Saved by doing the Opposite of what is being done now to create this technology
My name is Michael DeKort — I am a former system engineer, engineering, and program manager for Lockheed Martin. I worked in aircraft simulation, the software engineering manager for all of NORAD, the Aegis Weapon System, and on C4ISR for DHS.
Industry Participation — Air and Ground
- Founder SAE On-Road Autonomous Driving Simulation Task Force
- Member SAE ORAD Verification and Validation Task Force
- Member UNECE WP.29 SG2 Virtual Testing
- Stakeholder USDOT VOICES (Virtual Open Innovation Collaborative Environment for Safety)
- Member SAE G-34 / EUROCAE WG-114 Artificial Intelligence in Aviation
- Member CIVATAglobal — Civic Air Transport Association
- Stakeholder for UL4600 — Creating AV Safety Guidelines
- Member of the IEEE Artificial Intelligence & Autonomous Systems Policy Committee
- Presented the IEEE Barus Ethics Award for Post 9/11 DoD/DHS Whistleblowing Efforts